By Richard Ollard
He proclaimed himself a genius and raged opposed to the slightest feedback from fellow students; he used to be a Marxist who despised the 'Idiot People'; he should be beneficiant and affectionate but hurled insults at his associates; he inveighed opposed to Puritanism yet used to be himself in lots of methods a Puritan: A. L. Rowse was once a guy of many contradictions.
during this clear-sighted and soaking up biography, Richard Ollard examines the numerous facets of Rowse's Protean character to bare a guy who, no matter what he was once responding to - public affairs, the humanities, ordinary good looks or occasions in his own lifestyles - did so with large power and passion.
'An urbane examine of the prestigious historian.' Antonia Fraser, Daily Mail
'Strikes an ideal stability among the Jekyll Rowse and the Hyde Rowse.' Bevis Hillier, Spectator
'Excellent.' Katherine Duncan-Jones, TLS
Read or Download A Man Of Contradictions: A Life Of A. L. Rowse PDF
Best historiography books
Now in a brand new variation, this influential booklet strains oral historical past via its personal prior and weighs up the new achievements of this foreign stream. Paul Thompson demanding situations myths of historic scholarship and appears heavily on the use of oral resources by means of historians. He bargains recommendation on designing a venture; discusses reliability of oral facts; considers the context of the improvement of historic writing together with its social functionality; and appears at reminiscence, the self and using drama and remedy.
Even supposing his identify is little recognized this day outdoors Iowa, throughout the early a part of the 20th century Benjamin Shambaugh (1871-1940) used to be a key determine within the historic career. utilizing his exotic profession as a lens, Conard's seminal paintings is the 1st e-book to think about public heritage as a vital part of the highbrow improvement of the ancient career as a complete in the us.
During this pioneering paintings, Ernst Breisach offers a good, well-organized, and concise account of the improvement of historiography in Western tradition. Neither a guide nor an encyclopedia, this up to date 3rd version narrates and translates the improvement of historiography from its origins in Greek poetry to the current, with compelling sections on postmodernism, deconstructionism, African-American background, women’s historical past, microhistory, the Historikerstreit, cultural background, and extra.
Alongside the Archival Grain bargains a special methodological and analytic commencing to the affective registers of imperial governance and the political content material of archival varieties. In a chain of nuanced mediations at the nature of colonial files from the nineteenth-century Netherlands Indies, Ann Laura Stoler identifies the social epistemologies that guided conception and perform, revealing the difficult racial ontologies of that stressed epistemic area.
- A Restless Past: History and the American Public
- The Present and the Past in Medieval Irish Chronicles
- Roman Social History (Classical Foundations)
- Cheeses of Italy
- History's Memory: Writing Americas Past, 1880-1980
Additional resources for A Man Of Contradictions: A Life Of A. L. Rowse
Phineas C. , The History of Two Americas (Chicago: A. S. L. Coburn, 1878), xv. 64. , frontispiece. 65. See Krause and Joyce, Writing of American History, 197-199. 66. The history of North and South America to the eighteenth century appears in volumes 1-5. The last volume deals with the later history of British, Spanish, and Portuguese America. The history of the United States from 1763 to 1850 is covered in subsequent volumes. 67. Krause and Joyce, Writing of American History, 198. 68. Ray Allen Billington, Frederick Jackson Turner: Historian, Scholar, Teacher (New York: Oxford University Press, 1973), 65.
86. Official Catalogue and Guide Book to the Pan-American Exposition (Buffalo, NY: Charles Ahrhart, 1901), 5. 87. The hemisphere nations attending were Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Uruguay, and Venezuela. 88. Robert W. Rydell, All the World's a Fair: Visions of Empire at American International Expositions, 1876-1916 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1984), Pre-Bolton Formulations of the History of the Americas 25 152; President McKinley was assassinated after this speech on September 6,1901.
18. , lriii. 19. D. (Edinburgh: G. , 1811), 246. 20. Preface to History of America. 21. ], March 8,1784, British Museum, Add. MSS. 35350, fols. , in Humphreys, William Robertson, 14. 22. Robertson, History of America, lriii and iv. 23. John B. Black, The Art of History: A Study of Four Great Historians of the Eighteenth Century (1926, New York: Russell & Russell, 1965), 137-138. Pre-Bolton Formulations of the History of the Americas 21 24. A. Curtis Wilgus, The Historiography of Latin America: A Guide to Historical Writing, 1500-1800 (Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1975), 214.